Lumber Yard Delivery Driver
Smith Ace Hardware and Lumber provides builders, architects and homeowners with services and solutions for their building projects including doors, windows and building materials needs. We have been in business since 1874 serving the greater Cape Ann community. Smith Ace Hardware and Lumber is family owned and operated for 145 years.
We are looking for an enthusiastic lumber yard delivery driver. We are a very busy yard and you'll need to be able to keep up with the pace of business that we maintain. Open seven days a week, this is a full-time position, including weekends. Hours of operation are between 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM.
To apply: Please come into the Rockport store and fill out an application at the Lumber Desk.
Location: Smith Ace Hardware and Lumber 3 Station Square, Rockport, MA across from MBTA Commuter Rail Rockport line with access from Boston, Lynn, Beverly, and the greater Boston area.
Smith Ace Hardware and Lumber offers a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, 401k, and paid time off.
- Safe loading, handling and transportation of materials and heavy cargo
- Delivering materials to the destination and unloading materials properly
- Provides customers with knowledgeable, courteous, and prompt service at all times
- Responsible for maintaining vehicle in safe operating condition
- Inspects the truck for any defects or problems which might arise before or after trips, such as tires, lights, brakes, gas, oil, and water.
- Completes all required paperwork and maintains logs and records according to D.O.T. regulations.
- Fork Lift Certification a plus, but will train the right person!
- Opens containers utilizing hand tools as needed; counts and weighs materials and records information.
- Loads vehicle for delivery and loads or unloads materials onto or off trucks, pallets, skids or lifting device.
- Performs simple vehicle maintenance; cleaning interior of vehicle, checking lights, checking tires, filling fluids, scheduling routine maintenance to keep vehicle running properly.
- Observes all traffic laws and posted speed limits.
- Picks, packs, and ships materials and delivers goods to clients; performs quality inspections on incoming and outgoing materials and products.
- Interacts with customers in a professional manner.
- Collects required signatures for payment, proof of delivery, and gives a receipt to customers.
- Returns all required documentation to appropriate company official.
- Conducts physical inventory counts and replenishes stock from back-up locations as needed; sorts and places materials/items on racks, shelves, or bins according to inventory procedures.
- Processes all packages and returned merchandise for shipping.
- Maintains a neat, clean personal appearance and observes no smoking in delivery vehicles
- Must get all pertinent information if involved in an accident and inform appropriate company official.
- Unloads vehicle after completing delivery runs.
- Performs required administrative tasks; prepares all required reports and correspondence.
- Unloads loads and stacks material by raising and lowering lifting device.
- Inventories materials on work floor, and supply workers with materials as needed.
- Weighs materials or products and records weight on tags, labels, or production schedules.
- Lubricates truck, recharges batteries, fills fuel tank, or replaces liquefied gas tank.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
- Must have valid MA driver’s license.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, and interpret standard unit tape measures.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos in English.
- Ability to effectively present information to customers, and other employees.
- Sitting/standing for a prolonged period
- Ability to lift up to 60 – 100 lbs.
- Ability to pull, push and grip and ability to stoop and climb 2 - 3 feet steps (into & out of cab)
Job Type: Full-time
Experience: Delivery Driving: 2 years (Preferred)
Work authorization: United States (Required)